Butterfly (July 2025)
Some butterflies dart by in a blur of colour,
With sunshine on their wings
Racing their friends
Seeking colourful places.
Joyful, beautiful brightness,
In the corner of my eye.
Oblivious to me.
Some stop to land in my garden
They perch on the highest branches of the trees,
They pause briefly in the tangle of bushes,
Or rest lightly on spring blossoms.
If they sense my shadow, they fly away
So I watch them from afar
Until they leave.
Most often, I see what once were butterflies,
But are no longer.
A single wing caught in a web
Gathered amongst fallen leaves
Or caught in a flurry on the pavement.
A beautiful memory.
With careful work, I have built my own cocoon
Trying to determine who I will become
When I finally emerge.
I long to join the butterflies
Colourful and dainty
Beautiful and oblivious,
Memorable.
I suspect that I am a moth.
Tenille
Comments
Post a Comment